©Michele L. Catanese
* This line is from the Preface prayer (at Mass) used for late Advent. However, this is the old translation and it is worded slightly differently in the most recent translation.
** Scripture references in the order of my examples: Abraham and Lot, uncle and nephew: Genesis 13-14; 19. (I must add that the incredible discussion between Abraham and God in Genesis 18:16-33 is one of the best examples of friendship with God.) Moses and Aaron, brothers: begins in Exodus 4 and goes throughout the rest of the Exodus and parts of Deuteronomy. Naomi and Ruth, mother-in-law and daughter-in-law: the entire Book of Ruth. David and Jonathan, friends like brothers:1 Samuel 18-20. Elijah and Elisha, friends and ‘co-workers’: 1 Kings 19: 15-2 Kings 2:15. Jesus and John, friends: examples throughout the Gospel of John. The best examples are the Last Supper and when Jesus was dying on the cross. (In his gospel John is referred to as the 'one whom Jesus loved.' This designation was given by a later writer who edited this gospel. Jesus certainly loved all the apostles, but there was a special friendship here.) Paul, with friends and co-workers: with Barnabas, Acts 9:27 and following; with Priscilla, Acts 18, and some references in Paul’s letters; with Timothy, Acts 16 and the two letters Paul wrote to him; with Philemon and Onesimus, the Letter to Philemon.
1. Image, The Galilean Jesus, by Fr. William Hart McNichols: It can be found for purchase in many different mediums at https://fineartamerica.com/featured/the-galilean-jesus-266-william-hart-mcnichols.html
2. Inset of 14th century icon, The Visitation; the Baby Leaps: If you look closely at Elizabeth you can see the baby, John, leaping in her womb.
3. My photo, tourists in San Marco Square, Venice: I was fortunate to be in Venice before the terrible flooding.
4. My photo, mosaic in Baptistry at San Vitale, Ravenna, Italy: the ceiling in the Baptistry.
5. My photo, Portree, Isle of Skye, Scotland: Father and son are certainly friends as well as relatives. In a city where houses are connected, so too are the people truly connected as neighbor.
NOTE: In compliance with GDPR rules, I wish to make it clear that I do not gather any information on any of my readers at any time.